Thursday 29 March 2012

I'm a Volunteer for The British Lung Foundation!

I've been applying for Summer jobs/internships/work experience placements/etc. for the past couple of weeks and I'm delighted to finally blog about some progress!



As of approximately 12.30pm today, I became a volunteer for The British Lung Foundation. It's a fairly small charity (even though it's been around for 20 years!) but the office is a lovely place and I can tell that I'll be comfortable there. I'll be working there once a week as a volunteer receptionist whilst taking up some administrative duties too. :)

I had been slightly nervous about the interview yesterday, especially considering I haven't had an administrative related interview before and have minimal admin experience (2 weeks worth). Surprisingly though, it all went pretty well (although it was an "informal interview", so maybe it isn't actually that surprising!). My interviewer was extremely nice and friendly and we ended up having a really nice conversation in which she even gave me some advice for the future! She asked me what I wanted to do after university and once I'd explained to her that I wanted to go into Editorial Publishing, she told me about possible editorial opportunities at BLF.

I'm so excited! It's not quite in the publishing industry, but not only will I actually be doing something beneficial with my summer, I think it'll also be an excellent chance to really build on my admin skills, improve my social skills and also meet some interesting new people!

At this point, improving my social skills through this role is my main personal goal. Networking isn't my forté especially since I still feel like an awkward teenager in the middle of an adult conversation. I think regularly being in a professional environment will really help to change that. I'm going to be 20 years old in less than a month, so what better timing? ;)